When’s the last time you updated it? How will you transfer the skills from your current job or industry to a new one? How will you set yourself apart from other candidates? How long and horrible will this revision process actually be?
Let’s check what Today’s Trend board says, It says you need to KEEP A LOGICAL AND AN ORGANIZED STRUCTURE OF THE RESUME, having said that lets quickly check on the resume format
Gone are the days when you need to type out an objective of the Resume in the beginning. Now you need to do that. Start your Resume with a Centre Title “Resume / CV”.
Then Keep your entire Resume Left Centric for uniformity and for a neat layout.
Start with your Name, Email Address, Phone Number, and LinkedIn Profile Link
You can then add a summary to your whole profile and highlight your expertise in it.
The next Heading in your resume should be your Work Experience which should be in reverse order i.e. starting from your current job at the top.
You Academic qualification should preferably be in a tabular format which includes: Course / University/year of passing / Aggregate Percentage scored or Pursuing
Next highlight your Certification courses, Achievements, Computer Proficiency, and Co-Curricular or Volunteering activities
Put a finishing touch to your resume by giving your Personal Details which should be only restricted to languages known by you, Date of Birth and Marital Status
That was a quick yet brief content on how to structure your Resume. But all that is fail if the Visual appearance of the Resume is not up to the recruiter’s Standards. So let’s do a quick Sneak Peek into how the recruiters feel that your Resume should look like.
- Keep it to a page or two: While writing your resume always remember the purpose of it—it’s not to showcase everything you’ve ever done, but rather to show that you have the background, skills, and experience for the job at hand.
- Avoid Spelling Or Grammar Errors: Read your resume thoroughly, as there are times the candidate writes the resume in past continuous and suddenly switches to past perfect. So those who are still scared of little grammar, it’s high time that you learn them for your own benefit.
- Avoid The First Person Pronouns: As a general practice, don’t use words like “I” or “me” or “my.” So, instead of saying “I have achieved and exceeded company sales quotas 100% this year” say “Achieved and exceeded sales quotas 100% in July 2018.”
- That leads us to another important aspect of the resume which is to Quantify Your Impact: Like in the previous example —- Show your accomplishments in numbers, not just words. It’s such an easy way to stand out since few people do this. Another Strong example could be —– “Managed $12,000 budget to plan large-scale events for 2,500 students”
- Follow The “Rule of Seven”: that is Great resumes send a consistent and subliminal message. For instance, when applying for marketing jobs, use verbs like “marketed,” “advertised” and “promoted”, or for HR job use words like “Talent”, “People”, “Relationship management” etc
YES, YOU ARE THINKING RIGHT, so if you have different domains to apply for, you must have different resumes prepared for it.
- Next, Avoid the fancy layout, font, and other special effects. Stick to the traditional font of Times New Roman, 9 to 12 point size, and black type against a white paper. You might try a different font or style for your name and the companies you have worked for. But try to be consistent in the styling too. Go easy on boldface type, italics, and underlining.
Now your resume is ready to be sent. Do remember to Send Your Resume As A PDF because Saving your resume as a PDF (rather than a Word and document) freezes the image so that you can be sure that whatever the hiring managers will see, it would be the same formatting as you can see.
Quickly grab on your laptop and keep the video playing, keep listening to the instructions mentioned in this video and form your impressive Resume right now. Also, Do follow our Freshersworld.com Blog for more great content.
Oh No! We can’t leave you like this! Here are the freebies for you:
Free Resume samples: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1CaRO2141dzyNDTh9_tlSz0SlYR06Cp2a?usp=sharing
Download Fresher resumes from here and after your edit don’t forget to thank us!
Do write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org for any query regarding freshersworld.com & All the best for your job hunt!